A combination of a brownie and a molten lava cake, baked in a ramekin and served with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce. The perfect gooey brownie sundae for two.
It’s Monday, so I made you a brownie sundae. That has to make Monday better, right? In my opinion, any day can be vastly improved by the addition of chocolate (and ice cream. and caramel sauce). With Valentine’s Day just a few days away, I wanted to share a recipe for those of you that would like to bake something small for you and your sweetie. I adapted Ina Garten’s Brownie Pudding recipe (which feeds 6-8) into an amazing gooey brownie for two.
This dish is a combination of a brownie and molten lava cake. The top is crackly, the center is gooey, and the edges are chewy. The batter for the brownie comes together in about 5 minutes, it gets baked in a ramekin, and then served warm topped with ice cream and caramel sauce.
More small batch recipes
Brownie Sundae (for two)
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 3 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- Ice cream, for serving
- Caramel sauce or hot fudge sauce, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly butter a 15 oz or 16 oz oval or circle ramekin (see note), set aside.
- With a hand or stand mixer, beat egg and sugar on medium high speed for 3 minutes, until thick and light yellow. Turn off the mixer and add the vanilla extract, cocoa powder, and flour. Mix on low speed until just combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary. With the mixer still on low, slowly add in the melted butter and mix again until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared dish. Bake for 20-35 minutes (see note). The top should appear dry and crackly, the outer edges should be completely done, and the center should be slightly under-baked. Cool just slightly. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce
Adapted from Ina Garten
Nutritional Information is an estimate based on third-party calculations and may vary based on products used and serving sizes.