Healthy and flavorful Beef and Sweet Potato Chili.
This recipe is a year round go-to for my family. It’s hearty enough to be considered comfort food, yet healthy enough that I can feel good about serving it to my family. Bonus: It’s made in one pot!
Sweet Potato Chili
- Lean Ground Beef
- Diced Sweet Potatoes
- Bell Pepper
- Green Chiles
In order to make this a “healthier” recipe, I only use ½ a pound of lean ground beef. This allows a meaty taste and texture without adding too much fat. The diced sweet potatoes add a nutritional punch, and their sweet flavor is the perfect balance to the rich and spicy chili. Bell pepper, celery, onions and corn add some bulk to the chili – making each bite flavorful and satisfying.
For me, the best part of eating chili is the garnishes. Avocado and sour cream are my two favorites. Grated cheese, tortilla chips and sliced green onion are also great. As always, feel free to make changes to this recipe to make it suit your tastes. The bell pepper can be omitted, the beef can be replaced with ground turkey, you can skip the beans, add other veggies, etc.
This meal is perfect for a chilly day and it’s comfort food that you don’t have to feel guilty about. Score!
More dinner recipes:
Healthy Beef and Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small bell pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili seasoning
- One 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 2 cups peeled, diced sweet potatoes, about 1 large sweet potato
- One 15 oz can tomato puree or tomato sauce
- 1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup water
- One or two 16-oz cans of kidney, black or pinto beans, drained
- ¾ cup frozen corn
- Optional garnishes: grated cheese, green onions, sour cream, tortilla chips, avocado, cilantro
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and ground beef and cook for about 5 minutes, breaking the meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon. If the meat appears dry, add a few more drizzles of olive oil.
- Add the onion, bell pepper and celery and cook 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, chili seasoning and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine and cook for one more minute. Add the green chiles, sweet potatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, beef broth, water, beans and corn. Stir, then bring to simmer. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Check that the sweet potatoes are tender. Taste and add salt, pepper or additional chili seasoning, if desired. You can also add more water or beef broth if you want to thin it out.
Nutritional Information is an estimate based on third-party calculations and may vary based on products used and serving sizes.