This Warm Berry Cake is a new family favorite. Frozen berries are topped with a rich vanilla cake and baked until bubbly, sweet, and juicy. An easy and delicious recipe that can be made year round.
If you had to pick your favorite dessert, what would it be? For me, it would be some type of warm baked good topped with a scoop of ice cream. Think: warm brownie with ice cream, warm skillet cookie with ice cream, warm fruit crisp with ice cream. The warm and cold together gets me every time. And once the ice cream starts to get all melty … Ah! Love.
You won’t be surprised to hear that this Warm Berry Cake is one of my new favorites. This recipe is unbelievably easy, and the end result is fabulous.
Frozen berries are mixed with sugar and cornstarch and placed in the bottom of a pie dish. A quick vanilla cake batter is made, then spread over the top of the berries. The cake batter gets a sprinkling of coarse sugar (for crunch), and then the whole thing is baked. The berries get warm and juicy, and bubble up around the cake. The cake bakes up tender and moist, with a slightly crackly top, and a rich vanilla flavor.
This cake would be perfectly fine as is, but here’s where it gets amazing. Take a scoop of vanilla ice cream and place it on top of a slice of the fresh-from-the-oven cake.
Cool creamy ice cream + warm juicy berries + tender vanilla cake = mind blown. Tell me you don’t want to dive right into this picture and start stuffing your face.
If I haven’t sold you on this cake yet, I’ll leave you with one more thing. Since this recipe uses frozen berries, it can be made year round. Yes, any day of the year, friends! No need to wait for berries to show up in your local market. There’s no excuse not to get baking.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Mixed Berry Cake
- One 16 oz bag frozen mixed berries, 1 lb
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly, 1 stick
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar, for topping (I used white sparkling sugar. Turbinado sugar would work too)
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter a 10-inch pie dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine frozen berries, 1/2 cup of granulated sugar and cornstarch. Once combined, pour mixture into the prepard pie dish.
- In a large bowl, with a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat eggs and 1 cup sugar on medium speed for one minute. Add butter, vanilla extract and yogurt, and beat to combine, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add the flour and salt and beat once again, until just incorporated.
- Pour the batter over the fruit, spreading into an even layer, covering the fruit completely. Sprinkle the coarse sugar over the top of the batter.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, until the fruit is bubbling around the edges and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool slightly. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.