Healthy baked oatmeal cups filled with almond butter, bananas, and chocolate chips. Easily made gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free!
It’s back to school time around here. Jake started Pre-K today! He’s at the same preschool he went to last year, but this year he will be attending 5 days a week. I’m curious to see how it will go to get him fed, dressed, and out the door each morning. Although Jake is an early riser, he moves very slowly in the morning. My hope is that having a delicious and nutritious breakfast for him will help our mornings move along smoothly.
That’s where these baked oatmeal cups come in. They are healthy and portable, with many different flavor variations (see recipe for options). A mixture of mashed bananas, oats, almond butter, and maple syrup gets combined, then the mix-ins of your choosing are added (I used chocolate chips and raisins). The mixture gets scooped into muffin cups and baked. The end result is moist, slightly chewy, oatmeal “muffins” that contain no flour, no oil, no butter, and no refined sugar!
I made a batch of these ahead of time so that they would be ready for us Monday morning. I like to reheat them right before serving, and we enjoy them with coffee or a glass of milk. These muffins are wholesome, hearty, and they’ll keep you satisfied throughout the morning.
- 2 medium-size ripe bananas, mashed
- ⅓ cup almond butter (peanut butter can be substituted)
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup (honey can be substituted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk (non-dairy or dairy milk can be used)
- 2 cups old fashioned oats (gluten free, if necessary)
- 3 tablespoons chocolate chips or chopped nuts
- 3 tablespoons raisins or other dried fruit
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a muffin tin (you will only need 8 or 9 cups).
- In a large bowl, combine mashed banana, almond butter, syrup, vanilla extract, and milk. Add oats and stir to combine. Add chocolate chips and raisins, mix until combined.
- Divide the mixture between 8 or 9 muffin cups. Bake for 15-18 minutes.