This is a fruit crumble like you’ve never seen! Soft and sweet brown sugar bananas topped with an incredible macadamia nut crumble. Serve this dessert warm with scoops of vanilla ice cream and watch it disappear.
Shoutout to Mama’s Fish House for the inspiration behind this recipe. This decadent dessert was one of the best things we ate on a recent trip to Maui. Upon returning home I immediately got to work recreating their recipe. After several attempts we determined that this had the closest resemblance to the one from Mama’s. Each bite transported us to that beautiful beachfront location. Here’s the recipe in case you want a little taste of Maui right at home.
Why you’ll love this recipe
Ease: This recipe comes together quickly and easily. No special equipment is needed.
Flavor: Banana, vanilla, brown sugar, butter, and macadamia nuts.
Texture: Soft banana slices, crunchy topping, warm crisp, and cold ice cream.
Unique: Of course we’ve all seen an apple crumble or a berry crumble, but this banana crumble is a bit unique and unexpected.
*This is just an overview, the full recipe is below in the recipe card*
Filling: Combine sliced bananas, apple juice, brown sugar, flour, and vanilla. Scoop into a greased baking dish.
Topping: Combine flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and salt. Add cold cubed butter and work it in with your fingers or a pastry cutter. Stir in the macadamia nuts.
Assembly: Add the topping over the bananas, squeezing some of it between your fingers to form clumps.
Bake: Bake at 375°F for about 20 minutes. Optional: drizzle with salted caramel sauce right before serving.
Bananas should be just barely ripe. When baking with bananas you typically want over-ripe bananas, but not for this recipe. The bananas should maintain their shape and not get mushy, so ripe-firm bananas are best.
Slice the bananas into ½-3/4 inch slices.
You’ll need about 4 medium sized bananas.
Roasted salted macadamia nuts work best here. They are extra crunchy and the added salted balances all the sweetness. My favorite macadamia nuts are from Target (on the nuts/trail mix aisle). Extra macadamia nuts? Make our White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies.
A few notes
Mama’s Fish House calls their dessert a “crisp” and I call mine a “crumble”. I typically think of a “crisp” as having an oat-based topping and my recipe does not include oats. I tried it with oats and found that paired with the banana it gave a breakfast vibe. I use the crumble topping from our apple crumble which was the closest resemblance to the original.
The macadamia nuts are non negotiable. If I’m being honest the macadamia nuts are just as important as the banana. They are the star of this recipe and they take it from good to GREAT.
Mama’s Fish House does not serve their crisp with salted caramel. This was my own personal addition, it is delicious with or without.
SUBSCRIBE to our free NEWSLETTER – LIKE us on FACEBOOK – Follow on INSTAGRAM
Banana Macadamia Nut Crumble
- 4 cups sliced bananas*, sliced ½-¾ inch thick
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- ⅓ cup chopped macadamia nuts (preferably roasted salted)**
- vanilla ice cream and salted caramel sauce, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375°F with a rack in the center of the oven. Lightly grease an 8×8 square or 9-inch deep dish pie plate. Set aside.
- For the filling: In a large bowl combine all ingredients. Stir gently until combined. Dump the mixture (and any accumulated juices) into the prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer.
- For the topping: combine flour, both sugars, and salt. Add cubed butter (it should be cold). With a pastry cutter, or using your fingers, cut/rub the butter into the flour mixture until it is in small pebble-sized pieces and resembles clumpy sand. Using your fingers, crumble the mixture over the bananas, occasionally pressing some of it together to form clumps.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the topping is light golden brown. Cool slightly, serve warm with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.
Nutritional Information is an estimate based on third-party calculations and may vary based on products used and serving sizes.
Leave a Reply