Stuffed Potato Skins – Hearty potato skins filled with BBQ pulled pork and topped with cheese. Switch around the filling to whatever you like! The perfect game day meal or snack!
It’s almost football season which means that I am beginning to think about game day food. These Stuffed Potato Skins are the perfect meal for sitting on the couch and watching your favorite team play.
Usually potato skins are a snack or appetizer, but these have graduated to main dish status. Although they still resemble a typical potato skin, they are stuffed with BBQ pulled pork, which makes them hearty and filling.
This recipe is super versatile – you can stuff these with whatever kind of BBQ meat you like. I’ve made them with chicken, beef and pork. You can use store bought, restaurant bought or homemade. I used this recipe (with half the meat and a full recipe of sauce). My local Whole Foods also has a great selection of prepared smoked meats, which is great for those nights I want to get dinner on the table quickly.
Stuffed Potato Skins Tips:
- Stuff your potatoes with meat that is already warm, so that they won’t have to stay in the oven too long.
- Use meat with a substantial amount of BBQ sauce to help the potato skins from getting dry
- Top them with melted cheese, sour cream, green onions, bacon, ranch dressing or blue cheese
BBQ Pulled Pork Potato Skins
- 2 pounds cooked BBQ pulled pork, store bought or homemade (see notes below)
- 4 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- optional garnishes: sour cream, sliced green onion, cooked crumbled bacon, ranch dressing
- Preheat oven to 400. Rub the potatoes with canola oil and place on a baking sheet. Cook for approximately 45 minutes, until the potatoes are tender and cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool enough to handle.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out some of the flesh, making sure that you leave at least a ¼ inch border around the outside. Brush the inside and the outside of the potato skins with melted butter and sprinkle with salt. Place cut side down on a baking sheet and return to the oven for 7 more minutes to help the skins crisp slightly.
- Remove potato skins from the oven and fill with pulled pork. Top with grated cheese and return to the oven for a few more minutes to melt the cheese.
- Once the cheese is melted, remove from the oven. Serve immediately, garnished with sour cream, green onions, crumbled bacon or ranch dressing.
Nutritional Information is an estimate based on third-party calculations and may vary based on products used and serving sizes.
Leave a Reply