Satisfy your brownie craving in minutes with this fudgy and delicious Brownie in a Mug. Grab a spoon and dig in! VIDEO below.
Oh, hi. I’m just over here eating my fourth brownie in a mug this week. Yes, this week. Don’t judge. I’m super late to the brownie in a mug craze, and I’m trying to make up for lost time.
I absolutely love small batch desserts (these Small Batch Vanilla Cupcakes are one of my most popular recipes). I often crave something sweet, yet I don’t want to make a recipe that yields dozens of servings (read: little-to-no self control over here).
For those times that I need something rich, fudgy, and comforting IMMEDIATELY – I turn to this Brownie in a Mug recipe. It is unbelievably easy, and it has me diving into a warm brownie in a matter of minutes. Seriously, LESS THAN 5 MINUTES. Gah!
It took me a while to get this recipe exactly the way I wanted it. There are a lot of Brownie in a Mug recipes floating around the internet, but none of them had everything I wanted. I wanted my brownie to be fudgy, tender, super chocolaty, and it had to be prepared in the actual mug. I did not want to dirty a bunch of dishes to make a single serving brownie. I’m happy to report success! Here’s what I came up with…
How to Make a Brownie in a Mug:
- Start by mixing the dry ingredients in your mug – flour, sugar, cocoa, salt.
- Add the chocolate chips – these make our brownie fudgy!
- Stir in the wet ingredients – oil, vanilla and milk.
- Sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top (because, why not?!)
- Microwave it for about 90 seconds.
- Top it with your favorite garnishes: ice cream, whipped cream, powdered sugar, berries.
- Devour that beautiful thing!
Although this recipe makes one brownie in a mug, I would say that is definitely enough to serve two adults. It is very rich and satisfying, and a little goes a long way. Plus, if you’re like my family, we are definitely topping our brownie with vanilla ice cream, so that stretches it even further.
When baking small batch or single serving recipes, it is important to measure your ingredients properly. I will also note that the texture of this brownie is just a teensy bit off from the typical brownie texture I love (see here). But, seeing as how this is a single serving, made in one mug, in less than 5 minutes, I am not going to complain. This recipe will definitely satisfy a brownie craving.
Tips for making a Brownie in a Mug:
- A standard size mug is fine. I have made this in a 12oz mug and a 16oz mug.
- Don’t over mix your ingredients, which can lead to a tough brownie.
- Don’t overcook it. Microwaves vary, so start by cooking it 1 minute, and then an additional 15-30 seconds as necessary.
- Do not skip the chocolate chips. They make our brownie fudgy.
- Looking for a fun twist? Try one of these: Add a dollop of raspberry jam to the brownie batter. Stir in some chopped peanut butter cups. Add a tablespoon of chopped walnuts. Drizzle the top with caramel sauce.
Now what are you waiting for? You are a mere 5 minutes from diving into a warm brownie.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
This recipe originally appeared on Real Housemoms where I am a contributor.
Brownie in a Mug
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- 1 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil, melted coconut oil or melted butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Ice cream, whipped cream, powdered sugar, berries for garnish
- Place sugar, flour, cocoa powder and salt in a mug. Use a small whisk or fork, and stir until combined, and free of lumps. Stir in chocolate chips. Add oil, milk and vanilla, stir with a spoon or small rubber spatula until just combined (try not to over mix it).
- Sprinkle a few additional chocolate chips over the top and cook in the microwave for about 90 seconds (microwave times may vary). Eat immediately with ice cream, whipped cream, powdered sugar, or berries.