This rich and creamy Mexican Hot Chocolate is flavored with two types of chocolate and a touch of spice.
The best way to warm up on a chilly winter day? You’re looking at it! This rich and creamy spiced Hot Chocolate is like dessert in a mug. It’s easy, flavorful, and soooo chocolaty. I used my favorite Hot Chocolate Recipe as the base, with a few changes to turn it into Mexican Hot Chocolate.
How To Make Mexican Hot Chocolate
Combine the following ingredients in a saucepan over medium-low heat:
- Milk and Half & Half – The combination of the two makes this drink extra rich and creamy.
- Cocoa Powder – This adds a classic chocolate flavor and color.
- Granulated Sugar – Just enough sugar to sweeten the drink. Feel free to adjust the quantity to suit your taste.
- Spices (Cinnamon and Cayenne Pepper) – These spices are what turn this into Mexican Hot Chocolate. Cinnamon adds warmth and a pinch of cayenne adds a touch of heat.
- Dark Chocolate Chips – This adds an extra dose of deep chocolate flavor. The chocolate chips melt into the warm milk making the hot chocolate smooth and creamy.
- Vanilla Extract – A splash of vanilla rounds out the flavors and complements the chocolate.
Once the mixture is heated through and the chocolate chips are completely melted, pour into mugs and top with any of the garnishes listed below.
Hot Chocolate Garnishes
Have fun with your garnishes! Top your drink with any of the following:
- Cinnamon Sticks
- Whipped Cream
- Chopped chocolate or chocolate chips
- Chocolate sauce or caramel sauce
Mexican Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups half and half
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- couple pinches cayenne pepper more or less taste
- 1/2 cup bittersweet/dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- optional garnishes: whipped cream, marshmallows, chopped chocolate, cinnamon sticks
- Whisk milk, half and half, cocoa powder, sugar, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper in a saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat whisking occasionally, until the mixture is fully combined and hot, but not yet boiling. Add chocolate chips and vanilla extract, whisking until smooth and combined. Serve immediately with the garnishes of your choice.