You’ll love sipping on this creamy Peppermint Hot Chocolate. A combination of cocoa powder, chocolate chips, and peppermint extract make this hot chocolate extra flavorful and delicious! Ready in minutes.
Aside from Christmas cookies, nothing screams holidays like hot chocolate. This peppermint version adds a little something extra for those of us who love the combination of mint and chocolate. Add a dollop of whipped cream, stick a candy cane in it, and you’ll have a festive drink that everyone will love.
- Cocoa powder
- Chocolate chips
- Peppermint extract
This recipe is adapted from our popular homemade hot chocolate. With a couple small changes it easily becomes peppermint hot chocolate!
- Place the milk of your choice in a saucepan over medium-low heat and whisk in cocoa powder and sugar. Heat until warm.
- Add chocolate chips, whisking until they melt into the milk.
- Add peppermint extract.
- Serve immediately, topped with your favorite garnishes.
Why you’ll love this recipe
Tastes better than store bought “packets” of hot chocolate.
Made with real ingredients.
Easy! This recipe comes together in one pot in minutes.
Only five ingredients.
Choose from three different serving sizes.
Swap the whole/2% milk for plant-based milk. A milder tasting milk is best, so that the flavor of the milk doesn’t compete with the chocolate and peppermint.
Want it more rich? Swap half of the milk for half-and-half.
Want a stronger chocolate flavor? Use dark/bittersweet chocolate chips.
Don’t have peppermint extract? You can omit the peppermint extract and serve the hot chocolate with a candy cane in it. The peppermint flavor from the candy cane will impart a subtle peppermint flavor to the hot chocolate.
See the recipe notes section for small sized recipes (1 or 2 servings).
Spiked peppermint hot chocolate
For an adult version, try adding a shot of peppermint schnapps in place of the peppermint extract. Adjust to suit your taste.
Toppings for peppermint hot chocolate
- Whipped cream
- Candy canes
- Crushed peppermint candies
- Chopped chocolate
More hot chocolate recipes
Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- 4 cups milk, preferably whole milk or 2%
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bar
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract, more to taste
- Place milk, cocoa powder, and sugar in a saucepan set over medium heat. Whisk frequently until the cocoa powder and sugar have dissolved and the mixture is hot (but not boiling).
- Add the chocolate chips and stir frequently until melted. Add peppermint extract. Stir to combine. Taste and add more extract (a few drops), if desired. Serve immediately.
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- ⅛ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
- 1-2 drops peppermint extract