We finally have a “bar” version of our popular M&M Cookies. Delicious flavor, soft and chewy texture, with the added ease of just spreading the dough into a pan!
If you don’t feel like scooping and baking individual cookies, then you are going to love these cookie bars. The cookie dough comes together in minutes, and before you know it you’ll have the sweet aroma of chocolate chips cookies filling your home.
Why you’ll love this recipe
Ease: One bowl, one pan, under 15 minutes of hands on time.
Flavor: Butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and chocolate!
Texture: Crisp edges, soft centers, and chewy throughout. A cross betwen a cookie and a blondie.
Versatility: Swap the chocolate chips and M&M’s for any other “chips” or mix-ins that you’d like.
*Full recipe below in the recipe card*
In a large bowl, whisk melted butter and sugars followed by egg and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, and cornstarch). Stir in M&M’s and chocolate chips.
Spread into a greased 8×8 pan and bake.
- Line your pan with foil for easy removal and cleanup.
- The butter should be warm but not hot.
- Adding a little cornstarch helps the bars bake up soft and chewy.
- Don’t have M&M’s? You can use all chocolate chips!
- Add a few extra chocolate chips and/or M&M’s on top of the bars before baking.
- Allow the bars to cool completely. They will firm up as the cool.
You can use either. Dark brown sugar will create a darker final product and I find that dark brown sugar makes these bars a bit more moist and gooey.
Use it and reduce the added salt by half.
I have tested this recipe with plain M&M’s (mini and regular size) but I would assume you could use your favorite variety.
Yes. Double all ingredients and bake in a greased 9×13 pan. Bake time will be around 25-30 minutes.
Recipes for M&M lovers
SUBSCRIBE to our free NEWSLETTER – LIKE us on FACEBOOK – Follow on INSTAGRAM
M&M Cookie Bars
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and still a little warm
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar*
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ¾ cup combination of chocolate chips and mini M&M's, plus a few more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F with a rack in the center of the oven.
- Add the warm butter to a large bowl along with both sugars. Whisk until fully combined (at least 1 minute). Add egg and vanilla and whisk until combined. Tap the whisk on the side of the bowl, allowing all the excess batter to run into the bowl. Remove the whisk.
- Sprinkle the flour, baking powder, salt, and cornstarch over the top of the sugar mixture. Use a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to stir until well combined. The dough will be fairly "wet" – thinner than cookie dough but thicker than brownie batter. Add the chocolate chips and M&M's and stir until combined.
- Grease an 8×8 baking dish. Optional: line the pan with foil and grease the foil (this makes for easy removal). Scoop the dough into the prepared pan and spread it into an even layer. If desired you can add a few extra chocolate chips and M&M's on top. Bake for 22-26 minutes, until the center is set (not jiggly) and the bars are turning golden brown. Be careful not to overbake.
- Place the pan on a cooling rack and cool completely before slicing. The bars will hold together best once completely cool. If you want to eat them when they are warm and gooey I recommend using a fork.
Nutritional Information is an estimate based on third-party calculations and may vary based on products used and serving sizes.
Leave a Reply