These Chocolate M&M Cookies have soft centers, crisp edges and they’re loaded with three kinds of chocolate!
It’s December, aka “cookie month,” and I couldn’t be happier! If you need a cookie recipe for holiday parties, cookie exchanges, or simply eating one after another standing over your kitchen counter, I’ve got you covered. I have several cookie recipes coming this month and there are plenty of tasty cookie recipes to browse in the archives.
Today I’m sharing a chocolate version of my popular M&M Cookies. These cookies are perfect for baking with kids, using up leftover M&M’s, or just satisfying your chocolate craving. TIP: Use holiday M&M’s to make these cookies extra festive!
How to Make Chocolate M&M Cookies:
These cookies have soft centers, crisp edges and they are loaded with chocolate! Here’s how to make them:
- Beat butter with brown sugar and granulated sugar.
- Add egg and vanilla.
- Combine dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt) then add to the wet ingredients.
- Stir in chocolate chips and M&M’s.
- Scoop and roll into balls.
Cookie Recipe Tips:
- Make sure your butter is softened slightly and still cool to the touch. If your butter is too soft the cookies will spread too much while baking.
- Chill the dough for thicker cookies. The dough can be baked immediately, but if you prefer thicker cookies, you can chill the dough balls for 1 hour before baking. Note: You’ll need to add a couple minutes to the bake time.
- Make the dough balls fairly large (around two tablespoons). This creates a nice-sized cookie that bakes up with soft centers and crisp edges.
- Press extra M&M’s onto the outside of the cookie dough balls before baking. This makes the cookies prettier and adds a pop of color.
- Do not overbake! The longer you bake these cookies, the more crisp they will be after cooling. For cookies with soft centers you need to remove them from the oven when they are still underbaked. They should be so soft that you should not be able to pick up a cookie from the baking sheet immediately after removing from the oven. They will firm up as they cool.
Soft and Chewy Chocolate M&M Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened but still cool
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup M&M's divided
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper (don't skip this step, it helps keep the cookies from spreading).
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars for several minutes, until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and beat until just combined. Use a rubber spatula to stir in chocolate chips and 1/2 cup M&M's. At this point, I like to let the dough rest at cool room temp for 30 minutes before baking (this helps with the texture of the cookies). If you prefer your cookies thick, you can transfer the dough to the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Scoop the dough into 2-tablespoon portions, roll into balls and place a few inches apart on parchment lined baking sheets. Lightly press the remaining 1/4 cup M&M's onto the tops of the dough mounds.
- Bake for 9-11* minutes, rotating the baking sheets from top to bottom and front to back. Bake until the edges are beginning to set, but the rest of the cookie is still slightly underdone. Note: They should be so soft that you should not be able to pick them up immediately after removing from the oven. They will set as the cool.
- Place the baking sheet on wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough, allowing the baking sheets to cool completely between batches.
**Recipe updated December 2019 **