Soft and chewy chocolate cookies loaded with M&M’s.
My last three posts have all been healthy recipes, so that means it’s time for something a little more indulgent. I believe eating is all about balance and moderation, and although it’s the start of the new year, I am not about to stop eating chocolate – no way. So, here is a super chocolaty cookie that is soft and chewy and packed with M&M’s. I made some changes to my original M&M cookie recipe and came up with this chocolate version. These are still as delicious as the original but they pack an extra chocolaty punch. I find these cookies to be very rich and I think one cookie is enough to satisfy a sweet or chocolate craving.
This is a super simple recipe that comes together fast. Just remember, the key to keeping these cookies soft and chewy is not to over bake them. They should just barely be set when you pull them out of the oven. They will finish cooking as they cool on the baking sheets.
If you’re looking for a non-chocolate M&M cookie made with a sugar cookie dough, see my other recipe here.
Soft and Chewy Chocolate M&M Cookies
- 1 stick butter slightly softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder optional
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heaping of M&M's candies divided
- Preheat oven to 350. Beat butter and sugars for several minutes, until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl whisk flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and beat until just combined.* With a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in half a cup of M&M's.
- Drop dough by the heaping tablespoon (I used a 1 1/2 T scoop) onto a greased or lined cookie sheet, leaving a couple inches in between for spreading. Lightly press the remaining M&M's onto the tops of the dough mounds.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes until the cookies are just barely done around the edges and slightly soft in the center.
- Cool completely on the baking sheet.