These decadent M&M Brownies are moist, fudgy, chewy, and loaded with chocolate! This easy one-bowl recipe comes together in minutes.
To say that these M&M Brownies are “loaded with chocolate” is an understatement. These are for true chocolate lovers (Me! Me! Me!). These brownies are also for people who *might* have already purchased Halloween candy, opened that Halloween candy, and are interested in baking with it. Because why just eat M&M’s when you can have M&M Brownies?
Brownie base: I use a variation of my Homemade Brownies as the base for this recipe. They bake up moist and fudgy with melty bits of chocolate chips and M&M’s throughout.
M&M’s: ⅔ cup of milk chocolate M&M’s get stirred into the brownie batter. Feel free to press a few extra M&M’s on top of the brownies before baking. The M&M’s will soften during the bake time, so they will be smooth and a little melty when you enjoy the brownies.
Bake time: Bake the brownies for 28-33 minutes, until mostly set, but still fudgy.
- Line the pan with foil or parchment for easy removal. Once the brownies have cooled, you can lift the whole batch right out of the pan using the foil.
- Adding chocolate chips into the brownie batter guarantees a fudgy texture.
- Do not overbake. I can’t stress this enough! If you insert a toothpick into the center it should have moist fudgy crumbs on it, but no thin raw batter.
- This recipe too chocolaty for you? Try our M&M Cookie Bars instead.
Serving and storage
Serving: You can serve these brownies slightly warm, room temperature, or chilled. They will be more soft and fudgy if they are warm.
Storage: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
- ½ cup melted unsalted butter, still warm/hot
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ⅔ cup M&M's, I used milk chocolate M&M's
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8* square pan with foil or parchment paper, leaving a couple inches of overhang on two sides (this will allow you to lift the whole tray of brownies out of the pan for easy removal). Grease the foil/parchment.
- Combine granulated sugar and hot butter in a large bowl. Stir it briefly and then allow it to sit undisturbed for 5 minutes. The heat from the butter will begin to dissolve the sugar (this helps make a shiny/crackly crust). The sugar will not fully dissolve. After 5 minutes, whisk the butter and sugar vigorously for 30 seconds. Add eggs, water, and vanilla extract, whisking again for about 30 seconds. Tap all the excess batter off the whisk and remove the whisk from the bowl.
- Sprinkle cocoa powder, powdered sugar, flour, salt, and chocolate chips over the wet ingredients. Use a rubber/silicone spatula or wooden spoon to stir the mixture until it is glossy and well combined. Gently stir in the M&M's.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. If desired, press a few additional M&M's and chocolate chips onto the top of the batter. Bake for 28-33 minutes (begin checking at 28 minutes). The brownies are done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out without raw batter on it; moist fudgy crumbs are OK. Be careful not to over bake. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack to cool completely.
Nutritional Information is an estimate based on third-party calculations and may vary based on products used and serving sizes.