Pasta with Mushrooms & Spinach in Tomato Cream Sauce – Rigatoni tossed with mushrooms and spinach in a tomato cream sauce. This hearty and flavorful pasta dish can be made vegetarian or topped with chicken.
This recipe was created as part of a shop that has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are my own.
Today we get to talk about two of my favorite things: Pasta (yum!) and shopping at Target!!
I live dangerously close to Target. And by “dangerously close” I mean I can drive there in 1 minute. I will find any reason to make a trip to Target. I can finding something in every section of the store to toss into my cart. And don’t even get me started on their holiday section. Can’t stop, won’t stop.
Lucky for us, Target carries grocery items. I’m teaming up with my friends at Barilla® pasta to bring you a delicious recipe with ingredients I purchased at my local Target. Side note: While shopping for these ingredients I might have also picked up a sweater, a holiday wreath, plum lipstick, and (oh, look!) marble coasters. I told you, I can’t stop.
So, back to this pasta. Don’t we all rely on easy and hearty meals this time of year? This dish is perfect for the hectic holiday season. It is made with rigatoni that is tossed with a flavorful mushroom and spinach tomato cream sauce.
The sauce is made right in the same pot that the veggies cook in. While the sauce is coming together I boil a box of Barilla pasta (I used rigatoni). Once the pasta is done I toss it with the sauce and add a sprinkling of parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper. This pasta dish is vegetarian, but if you’d like to add meat you can top it with sliced grilled chicken. My family includes a mix of vegetarians and meat-eaters, so I love dishes that can easily accommodate both.
Barilla pasta is a staple in our home. Barilla offers balanced nutrition and it allows me to feed my family happily and healthfully. It’s a win-win!
If you’re hosting guests or heading out to a holiday pot-luck, cook up this comforting meal. It travels well and it’s sure to be a hit.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Pasta with Mushrooms and Spinach in Tomato Cream Sauce
- 1 box Barilla pasta, I used rigatoni
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 8 oz container mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 oz fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes with basil
- ⅓ to ½ cup heavy cream
- salt, crushed red pepper, parmesan cheese, to taste
- Sliced cooked chicken, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and mushrooms and cook until the onions have softened and the mushrooms are brown, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and chopped spinach and stir for a couple minutes, until the spinach wilts.
- Add crushed tomatoes and ½ cup water. Simmer, stirring occoasionally, while you cook the pasta.
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions. Right before pasta is done, finish the sauce.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in cream. Add salt and crushed red pepper to taste. Toss the drained pasta with the sauce and serve with parmesan cheese. If desired, you can top the pasta with sliced cooked chicken breasts.
Nutritional Information is an estimate based on third-party calculations and may vary based on products used and serving sizes.