Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes – Moist chocolate cupcakes stuffed with peanut butter cups and topped with peanut butter frosting and chopped peanut butter cups. VIDEO below!
Today I’m bringing you an oldie. And by “oldie” I’m referring to this recipe which was originally published 3 years ago when this blog was a wee little babe.
The photos for this recipe desperately needed to be updated and I desperately needed to sink my teeth into a Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcake … so, here we are. Same delicious recipe, new prettier photos, and my current craving for chocolate and peanut butter satisfied.
Along with Chocolate and orange, chocolate and peanut butter are one of my favorite flavor combinations. My family absolutely LOVES chocolate and peanut butter, so these cupcakes were quickly devoured.
Those peanut butter cups on top practically scream “EAT ME!”. If you can walk past one of these cupcakes without taking a huge bite, you have way more willpower than me. These are one of my favorite cupcake recipes ever.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Cups!
Here’s what we have going on here:
- Moist, light and super fluffy chocolate cupcakes.
- Peanut butter cups INSIDE each cupcake!
- Creamy peanut butter frosting swirled on top.
- A drizzle of chocolate sauce (optional).
- More peanut butter cups sprinkled on top.
It’s chocolate peanut butter heaven!
The cupcake and frosting recipes are both super simple. The cupcake batter is made in one bowl; no mixer needed! Check out the video below to see how these cupcakes come together.
Find a reason to make these beauties. They are everything you’d dream they would be. Grab a glass of milk and enjoy!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
- More Chocolate & Peanut Butter Recipes
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispies® Treats
- Small Batch Peanut Butter Cup Fudge
- Peanut Butter Brownies Trifles
- Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
- Peanut Butter Cup Magic Cookie Bars
Peanut Butter Cup Stuffed Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- about 30 miniature peanut butter cups 15 left whole (for filling the cupcakes) and the other 15 coarsely chopped (for topping the cupcakes)
Peanut Butter Frosting:
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 generous cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup to 1/3 half and half
- 1/4 cup hot fudge sauce for drizzling (make sure it's not hot)
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 15 muffin cups with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl. Once combined, beat in egg, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water until well combined; the batter will be thin.
- Pour the batter into prepared cupcake liners, filling each about 2/3 full. Place one peanut butter cup in the middle of each of the cups of batter, no need to press it down, as it will sink as the cupcakes bake.
- Bake the cupcakes for about 18 minutes, until they have puffed up slightly and the tops spring back when you touch them.
- Cool for 15 minutes in the pan and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the frosting:
- Beat the powdered sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla and salt for several minutes, until smooth. Slowly add in half and half until you reach your desired consistency.
- Using a butter knife or a pastry bag with a piping tip, generously frost the tops of all the cupcakes. Drizzle with hot fudge sauce (not hot) and sprinkle with chopped peanut butter cups.