These salted Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats are a delicious twist on the classic dessert. Serve these gooey bars as-is or top with chocolate-peanut butter frosting. This easy no-bake recipe is loved by adults and kids alike!
Sweet, salty, sticky, gooey, quick, and easy. This recipe checks all the boxes. We have been loving these peanut butter Rice Krispies treats. They’re great as an after school snack, a late night treat, or anytime you need something sweet and satisfying.
This recipe uses the usual Rice Krispies treats components: Rice Krispies, marshmallows, and butter. The addition of peanut butter, vanilla extract, and flaky sea salt adds a little something extra. There’s also an optional chocolate-peanut butter topping if you really want to take these over the top.
Here’s how to make them:
Melt the butter and marshmallows in a large saucepan. Add the peanut butter and vanilla and stir until well combined. Add the Rice Krispies and stir until well coated. Dump the mixture into a greased 8×8 or 9×9 pan and gently press into an even layer.
Why you’ll love this recipe
Extra gooey – I use less Rice Krispies treats than the traditional recipe. This creates a more sticky-gooey consistency.
Peanut butter – The addition of peanut butter adds a subtle peanut buttery flavor to every bite.
Sweet + salty – Using salted butter and finishing the recipe with a sprinkling of flaky salt creates a fantastic salty-sweet balance.
Fast and easy – This no-bake recipe comes together in under 10 minutes.
Chocolate peanut butter topping
Want to take these bars over the top? A combination of melted peanut butter chips, chocolate chips, and peanut butter makes the perfect topping. Pour this mixture over the Rice Krispies treats and allow it to cool until set (a few hours).
- When melting the butter and marshmallows be sure to stir frequently so they don’t burn.
- Use an emulsified peanut butter, not a natural peanut butter with oil on top.
- Once you add the Rice Krispies to the melted marshmallow work quickly. The mixture will thicken as it begins to cool.
- Add flaky sea salt on top for a sweet and salty flavor.
- When pressing the Rice Krispies treats into the pan don’t pack them in too tight.
- Just like all Rice Krispies treats these will dry out over time. I recommend making them the day you are serving them. Leftovers (without the chocolate topping) can be microwaved for a few seconds to make them soft and gooey again.
Salted Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats
- ¼ cup salted butter
- 10 oz bag mini marshmallows
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter, NOT natural
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup peanut butter chips
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter, NOT natural
- flaky sea salt
- Grease an 8×8 or 9×9 square baking dish.
- In a large (preferably non-stick) saucepan over medium-low heat melt butter and marshmallows, stirring frequently. Once melted immediately add peanut butter and vanilla, stirring until combined. Remove from heat and stir in the Rice Krispies.
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared baking dish and gently press into an even layer. If using the chocolate topping proceed below. If not using the chocolate topping, sprinkle the top of the treats with flaky sea salt and allow to cool to room temperature before slicing and serving.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and peanut butter. Cook, stirring constantly, until completely melted and smooth. Pour over the top of the bars and smooth into an even layer. Sprinkle the top with flaky sea salt. Allow to cool for several hours, until the topping is set.
Nutritional Information is an estimate based on third-party calculations and may vary based on products used and serving sizes.
Recipe updated August 2021.