Thick and fluffy baked buttermilk pancake casserole filled with fresh blueberries and topped with a brown sugar crumble. The easiest and tastiest “pancake” you’ll ever eat!
Meet your new favorite breakfast/brunch dish; a thick and fluffy buttermilk “pancake” topped with blueberries and a brown sugar crumble topping. I hereby declare this my favorite breakfast item. Actually, let’s call it a tie between this and my Brown Sugar Banana French Toast Casserole. Oh, and my Cinnamon Vanilla French Toast Casserole. OK, just give me all the sugary breakfast carbs. Don’t make me choose. 😉
Here’s what’s amazing about this pancake casserole: you essentially make a big batch of buttermilk pancake batter flavored with vanilla and a touch of lemon zest. Rather than using the batter for individual pancakes (and standing at the stove and flipping, flipping, flipping…), the batter gets poured into a casserole dish, topped with blueberries and brown sugar crumble, and BAKED in the oven! Easy peasy. And the end result is wonderful!
It’s fluffy and tender, the topping is crumbly and sweet, and the blueberries impart little pops of fresh flavor. Serve it with a drizzle of warm maple syrup and watch it disappear. I’ve made this several times and it’s been met with rave reviews.
We regularly have breakfast for dinner, and this casserole makes the perfect dinner after a long day. Sugary carbs are my comfort food of choice (I’m sure you’re shocked to hear that). 😉
Bonus: The leftovers keep well and they can be reheated in the following days.
So, here’s plan: Invite over some friends and family, place this casserole in the oven, pour some coffee (or mimosas!) and enjoy an easy and beautiful meal together. Breakfast just got 100 times better.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
- ½ cup flour
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- ½ cup milk (I used skim milk)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- finely grated zest of 1 small lemon
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⅔ cups blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Thoroughly grease a 9x13 baking dish and set aside.
- Prepare crumb topping: In a medium bowl combine flour, sugars, cinnamon, and salt. Add butter and use your fingers to work the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles wet sand. The butter pieces should be pea sized or smaller. Cover and refrigerate while you prepare the batter.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, milk, melted butter, lemon zest, and vanilla extract. Whisk wet ingredients until well combined. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients an use a rubber spatula to stir until combined. The batter will be lumpy; do not over mix. Pour the batter into the greased baking dish. Sprinkle the blueberries over the top. Remove the crumb topping from the fridge and use your fingers to press pieces together and crumble over the top of the blueberries and batter. Bake for about 45 minutes, until light golden brown and the edges begin to pull away from the side of the baking dish. Serve warm with maple syrup.