Easy chicken salad filled with tender chicken, dried cranberries, walnuts, apples, celery, dill, and parsley. For a healthier option, you can use Greek yogurt in the dressing and serve the chicken salad on lettuce instead of bread.
As the weather is heating up in AZ (it’s in the 80’s this week!), I’ve been craving easy no-cook meals. Every weekend I do our grocery shopping for the upcoming week, and I always pick up a rotisserie chicken. Between soup, chili, sandwiches, or salads, I always find a way to use the chicken during the week. Lately we have been using rotisserie chicken for this this easy Cranberry Walnut Chicken Salad.
This is my personal favorite version of chicken salad. It includes dried cranberries, toasted walnuts, chopped apple or celery, and just a touch of dill and parsley. The dressing is made from mayo, sour cream or Greek yogurt, and a splash of fresh lemon juice. This recipe can easily be made lighter or healthier by using Greek yogurt and by serving the chicken salad in lettuce cups or over mixed greens.
Scoop it onto lettuce, spread it onto bread, or just eat it off a fork. Extra points if you get to enjoy it while sitting outside on a beautiful, warm day, like we did. 🙂
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt (I prefer light sour cream or lowfat yogurt)
- 1 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced flat leaf parsley
- ¼ teaspoon dried dill
- 3 cups chopped or shredded cooked chicken (I use white meat from a rotisserie chicken)
- ½ cup finely chopped celery or finely chopped apple
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup chopped toasted walnuts (see note)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk mayonnaise, sour cream or yogurt, lemon juice, parsley, and dill. Add remaining ingredients and stir until combined. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve chilled on bread or lettuce.