You’re either going to love me or hate me after you try this recipe. Once you see how easy it is to make brownie ice cream sandwiches, you will love me for sharing these with you. But, your waistline is probably going to hate me because you will eat no less than 5 of these ice cream sammies.
My rationale: Summer is almost over, which means two things:
1) Let’s squeeze in more ice cream before the season is over. Summer = eating all the ice cream
2) Bathing suit weather is almost gone. Since there will be no bikinis in our near future, brownies sandwiching ice cream are a perfectly acceptable snack.
Eat up, friends.
Here’s how this goes – we prepare one boxed brownie mix, then divide it between two 8×8 pans to create two thin brownie layers. If you don’t have two pans, just bake one at a time. After baking and cooling, one batch of brownies is topped with ice cream (any flavor you choose), then the other brownie is placed on top. The assembled sandwich gets frozen until solid, and then cut into squares.
The brownies are soft and chewy (even after freezing!), and the ice cream is cold and creamy. Perfection in every bite.
I used black cherry ice cream for this batch, but you can use any flavor of ice cream you’d like. Chocolate chip, cookies and cream, cookie dough, mint chip, coffee, peanut butter … don’t they all sound amazing? Whip these up and blow your friends’ minds. Homemade ice cream sandwiches? Yep, you got this.
Easy Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 box brownie mix plus ingredients needed to prepare (I used Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Brownies)
- 1 quart softened ice cream (I used black cherry but you can use any flavor you like)
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line two 8x8 square pans (see note) with foil or parchment paper, leaving a couple inches of overhang on two sides (this will allow you to easily lift the brownies out of the pan). Grease the foil or parchment, set aside
- Prepare brownies batter according to box directions. Place half of the batter in each pan. I had 2 1/2 cups total batter, so I used 1 1/4 cups per pan. Make sure you divide the batter evenly so that the top and bottom of your sandwiches are the same thickness. Bake for about 20 minutes. You want the brownies to be just set, but still fudgy and a little underdone. We want them to stay soft once frozen, so do not overbake them.
- Cool the pans completely set over wire racks, then cover and transfer to the refrigerator to chill completely.
- Leave one of the brownie layers in the pan and remove the other layer by lifting the foil or parchment to carefully remove it. Spoon the softened ice cream onto the brownie layer that is still in the pan. Smooth the ice cream out so it is an even, flat layer. Place the other brownie layer face down on top of it, peeling off and discarding the parchment or foil. Press down lightly. Cover tightly and freeze until frozen solid, 6+ hours. Cut into squares and serve.
Other ice cream flavors that would be delicious: vanilla, chocolate chip, cookie dough, mint chip, peanut butter, cookies and cream.