This super creamy Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is filled with the cool and refreshing flavor of mint paired with lots of finely chopped chocolate. This recipe comes together in minutes with only four basic ingredients. No-cook, no-churn, quick and easy!
This summer I have shared more ice cream recipes than ever. I’m not sure why I have been so ice cream-obsessed, but I will tell you that I’ve enjoyed every delicious minute of it. Today I’m bringing you our son Jake’s favorite ice cream flavor: Mint Chip!
Recipe overview: mint chocolate chip ice cream
To make the ice cream base, gather the following ingredients:
- Heavy cream
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Peppermint extract
- Chopped chocolate or mini chocolate chips
- Whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Whisk the sweetened condensed milk and peppermint extract.
- Fold the whipped cream into the milk mixture
- Fold in the chocolate.
- Transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze until solid.
What is no-churn ice cream?
No-churn ice cream is ice cream that can be made without an ice cream maker. A typical no-churn ice cream recipe uses a combination of sweetened condensed milk and heavy cream that has been whipped to stiff peaks. The sweetness from the sweetened condensed milk and the fluffy quality of the whipped cream combine to make ice cream with an unbelievably smooth and creamy texture.
Here are some options for mix-ins to add to the mint ice cream base:
Finely chopped chocolate: Use a chocolate bar or finely chop chocolate chips. I like the texture and crunch that comes from the varying shapes and sizes of hand chopped chocolate. Dark chocolate is our favorite for this recipe.
Mini chocolate chips: These disperse throughout the ice cream a lot better than regular sized chocolate chips.
Crushed Oreos: Sometimes to switch things up we swap some of the chocolate for crushed Oreo cookies. Think of it as a hybrid between mint chip and cookies and cream ice cream.
- Make sure the heavy cream is really cold. This ensures that it will whip up easily.
- Prefer your mint chip ice cream to be green? Add a few drops of green food coloring into the ice cream base before freezing.
- Use your favorite type of chocolate. We love the how dark chocolate tastes when paired with mint, but use your favorite. Semisweet chocolate or milk chocolate would also work great here.
- Freeze in a loaf pan. A freezer-safe loaf pan is our favorite way to store this ice cream. It makes for super easy scooping! See more on this below under “storage”.
- Run your ice cream scoop under hot water before scooping to get the ice cream out easily.
Serving and storage
Serving: Serve this ice cream straight from the freezer (after at least 6 hours of freezer time). Like other no-churn ice cream recipes this one will get quite soft and creamy after sitting out, so eat it right from the freezer.
Storage: This ice cream will keep for about one week if frozen in a loaf pan and tightly covered with plastic wrap (I use two layers). If you’d like to store it for longer than that (up to one month) you will want to store it in a tightly sealed freezer safe storage container.
More summer desserts
- ICEBOX CAKE
- COFFEE ICE CREAM
- S’MORES MILKSHAKE
- ROCKY ROAD ICE CREAM
- STRAWBERRY MILKSHAKE
- STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE ICE CREAM
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 2 cups chilled heavy cream
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon pure peppermint extract, reduce to ¾ teaspoon for a more mild flavor
- 1 cup finely chopped chocolate or mini chocolate chips, I prefer dark chocolate
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate large bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk and peppermint extract. Fold half of the whipped cream into the condensed milk mixture, then fold in the other half. Stir in the chocolate (reserving a tablespoon or two for the top).
- Pour the ice cream into a loaf pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle the reserved chocolate on top. Cover and freeze until set, at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.