Creamy ice cream filled with all the flavors of apple pie! Brown sugar, cinnamon, tender apples, and crushed oatmeal cookies make this ice cream the easiest and tastiest way to enjoy apple pie! VIDEO below!
We’re nearing the end of summer. Are you happy or sad? Here in Arizona, we look forward to the end of summer. We’ve suffered through the sweltering heat and stayed inside for months. Autumn weather is nearly perfect here, and I’d say we’ve earned it. I can’t wait!
Hopefully, this weekend you’re bidding summer farewell with a long, leisurely weekend filled with family and friends. Are you in need of the perfect dessert? Here it is! I’ve taken all the flavors of apple pie (apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla) and put them into an easy no-churn ice cream.
We all love apple pie or apple crisps with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream, right? So how delicious would it be to actually have ice cream that tastes like apple pie à la mode?!
Answer: Very delicious! Super delicious! Unbelievably delicious!
Apple Pie Ice Cream
The main flavor component of this ice cream is a brown sugar cinnamon apple compote. Diced apples are cooked with brown sugar and cinnamon until the apples are soft. A portion of the apple compote is pureed and mixed into the ice cream base (this adds apple pie flavor right into the ice cream itself!). The rest of the compote is layered into the ice cream along with crushed oatmeal cookies, which mimic the crust. Every single bite of this ice cream tastes like apple pie.
This dessert is perfect for the transition of seasons. And since you don’t need an ice cream maker, anyone can make it! Let’s kiss summer goodbye with apple pie ice cream!
MORE ICE CREAM RECIPES:
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
No-Churn Apple Pie Ice Cream
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice or cinnamon
- 2 medium sized Granny Smith apples peeled and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
Ice cream base:
- One 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice or cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups cold heavy cream
- 3/4 cup crushed crunchy oatmeal cookies see note for other options
- Place brown sugar and butter in a medium saucepan. Stir until the butter is melted and the brown sugar and butter are combined. Add apples and pie spice, stir to coat the apples. Simmer, partially covered, for 10-15 minutes, until the apples are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until chilled. Once chilled, prepare ice cream base.
- In a large bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk, pie spice, and vanilla extract.
- Puree half the apple compote (it won't be completely smooth; that's OK), and stir the pureed compote into the condensed milk mixture. Set aside.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, whip the heavy cream until stiff, billowy peaks form. Gently fold half the whipped cream into the condensed milk, then fold in the other half. Stir in most of the cookie crumbs, reserving a tablespoon or two for the top.
- Pour half the ice cream base into a 2 quart container (I used a loaf pan). Top with half the remaining apple compote. Pour in the last half of the ice cream base and top with remaining apple compote and reserved cookie crumbs.
- Cover and freeze until firm, at least 6 hours.
Apple compote adapted from Brown Eyed Baker