This bubbly champagne cocktail features the fresh flavors of gin and lemon juice with a touch of sugar.
Here’s my first cocktail recipe of 2020, and it is a great one! Are you familiar with a French 75? I recently had one for the first time and it became an instant favorite. I knew I had to share it here because this website is basically my way of telling the world “you need this in your life!”.
I really enjoy cocktails made with sparkling wine. My Champagne Cocktail, Aperol Spritz and Mimosa are some of my personal favorites. But, if you lean in real close, I’ll tell you a secret… this French 75 has replaced all of those as my go-to cocktail. It’s seriously the best.
French 75 Recipe
This cocktail comes together in minutes with only four ingredients. The flavors are clean and fresh, and the presentation is simple. Here’s what you need to make it:
- Lemon juice
- Simple syrup
Start by combining gin, lemon juice, and simple syrup in a ice filled cocktail shaker. Shake it well, then strain it into a glass. Top off with chilled champagne. Garnish with a twist of lemon.
How To Make Simple Syrup
This basic simple syrup will sweeten the cocktail.
- Combine equal parts water and sugar in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
Chill the simple syrup until you are ready to use it. Leftovers should also in the fridge, I have successfully stored it for up to 2 weeks.
How To Serve
This cocktail can be served in a coupe or champagne flute garnished with a lemon twist.
To Make a Lemon Twist: Use a vegetable peeler to remove a long piece of lemon peel from a whole lemon. Twist it up and it should hold a curl shape. For a thinner lemon twist you can use this method.
French 75 Recipe
- 1.5 oz gin
- 3/4 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 oz simple syrup*
- 2 oz chilled champagne
- lemon twist optional garnish
- Place gin, lemon juice, and simple syrup in an ice filled cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously, then strain into a glass. Top with champagne and garnish with a lemon twist. Ingredients can easily be adjusted to suit your taste, feel free to use more or less.