Hot Buttered Rum is a festive cocktail flavored with butter, brown sugar, spices, and vanilla. Serve this warm and cozy drink all winter long.It’s not the holiday season until we put butter in a cocktail. Yep, you read that right: BUTTER IN A COCKTAIL! Hot Buttered Rum is a warm, cozy cocktail that is flavored with butter, brown sugar, spices, vanilla, and rum. This festive cocktail is guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser.
More cocktails: White Russian – Grasshopper – Aperol Spritz – Champagne Cocktail – Cherry Sangria – French 75
How to Make Hot Buttered Rum:
This is a sweet, buttery, spiced rum cocktail that is served warm. This recipe makes a pitcher of cocktails (about 4-5); you can easily halve or double the recipe as necessary.
- Combine softened butter with brown sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, and spices.
- Add spiced rum and hot water to the butter mixture, whisking until smooth and combined.
- Pour into glasses and serve immediately. Garnish with whipped cream and a cinnamon stick, if desired.
Flavor Variations for Hot Buttered Rum:
Use my recipe as a guide, adapting it to suit your taste. Feel free to play around with the portions of water and rum to make it stronger. You can also tweak the flavorings by doing any of the following:
- Spices: This recipe uses cinnamon (primarily), along with a bit of nutmeg and cloves. You can also use ginger, allspice, or apple/pumpkin pie spice (which is a blend of spices). Increase or decrease the different spices to get your perfect blend.
- Orange: Add some finely grated orange zest into the butter mixture for an underlying citrus flavor. You can also garnish each drink with a piece of thinly sliced orange.
- Apple cider: Swap some of the hot water for hot apple cider. This will make a sweeter apple-flavored cocktail. You can also garnish each drink with a thinly sliced apple.
- Honey: In addition to sweetening this drink with brown sugar, I also add maple syrup. Feel free to swap the syrup for honey if that is a flavor you’d prefer.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE to our free EMAIL LIST – LIKE us on FACEBOOK – Follow on INSTAGRAM
Hot Buttered Rum
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ⅓ cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 pinches ground cloves or anise
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- ¾ cup spiced rum, more or less, to taste*
- 3 cups boiling water (approximately), more or less, to taste*
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, brown sugar, syrup, spices, vanilla, and salt until combined.
- Place the butter in the bottom of a pitcher or large glass measuring cup. Add the rum, followed by the boiling water (start with 2 cups of water, taste, and add more until you get it right where you want it. I used right around 3 cups total) . Whisk until combined. Serve immediately. Garnish with whipped cream, if desired.
Nutritional Information is an estimate based on third-party calculations and may vary based on products used and serving sizes.
Leave a Reply