Grilled Sausage & Veggie Skewers with Pineapple BBQ Sauce – An easy and healthy dinner made on the grill! Fresh vegetables, pineapple, and kielbasa sausage skewers brushed with a simple pineapple BBQ sauce.
Hello, friends! It’s been a while! How are you? We’re settling back into life at home after being on vacation last week. We spent several fun-filled days in San Diego. We went to the beach and the aquarium, our kids swam (and swam and swam) in our hotel pool, and we watched the sunset over the ocean each night. It was absolutely perfect!
Now that we’re home, my family is actually expecting me to cook dinner. Apparently beach-side meals and room service end once vacation is over. Darn it.
Here’s a meal that is making its way into a summer dinner rotation in our house. It’s super simple and it cooks in minutes.
I place some vegetables, pineapple, and kielbasa sausage onto skewers and throw them on the grill. While cooking, I brush them generously with pineapple BBQ sauce (more on that below), and cook them until they are tender, juicy, and slightly charred. You can serve these on their own or with rice, pasta, or potatoes.
Whenever I make grilled skewers, I always include pineapple. It reminds me of the shish kebabs my parents often made when I was a child. I have always loved grilled pineapple, and since the pineapple steals the show here (for me, at least) I decided to run with it and make a simple pineapple BBQ sauce to brush on the skewers.
Rather than make BBQ sauce from scratch, I simply flavored a store bought BBQ sauce with fresh pineapple puree. It adds the perfect sweetness and underlying pineapple flavor, and it’s super easy!
Feel free to swap around the veggies for your favorites. Just make sure they all cook within a relatively similar time. The kielbasa sausage is already cooked, so these really don’t need very long on the grill.
Grilled Sausage and Vegetable Skewers with Pineapple BBQ Sauce
Pineapple BBQ Sauce:
- ⅓ cup pineapple puree, see note
- ⅔ cup BBQ sauce
- 1 package smoked cooked sausage/kielbasa (about 14 oz),, sliced (I used turkey kielbasa)
- ½ fresh pineapple cut into chunks
- 1 large zucchini, sliced
- 1 red or 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 3 mushrooms, halved or quartered
- ½ red onion, cut into chunks
- BBQ sauce: In a small saucepan on the stove or your grill, combine pineapple puree and BBQ sauce. Stir until combined and heated through. Keep warm.
- Preheat grill, then reduce heat to medium.
- Place vegetables and sausage on skewers (I used four 12-inch metal skewers). Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the sausage and veggies on the hot grill and cook, rotating occasionally, until the vegetables have softened, the sausage is heated through, and there are slight grill marks. Brush generously with pineapple BBQ sauce and cook for a couple more minutes, rotating them once or twice. Watch them closely so that the BBQ sauce doesn't burn.
- Remove from the grill, brush with more BBQ sauce, and serve immediately.