This Pumpkin Banana Bread is flavored with bananas, pumpkin, warm spices, and vanilla. A delicious way to use up some overripe bananas and enjoy fall flavors at the same time.
This Pumpkin Banana Bread is the answer to your question: “What should I do with overripe bananas when banana bread sounds good but what I really want is pumpkin bread?” This mashup of two classic quick breads is packed with the best flavors from both.
This bread is exactly what it sounds like: part banana bread, part pumpkin bread. It comes together quickly and easily.
- In a large bowl whisk the sugar along with all the wet ingredients (pumpkin, mashed banana, eggs, oil, and vanilla).
- In a separate bowl combine flour, spices, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and pour the batter into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes.
- Use canned pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling (which is already sweetened).
- Use overripe bananas. They’ll be extra sweet and they’ll mash and blend into the batter easily.
- Don’t overmix the batter, as this can make the bread tough. Mix just until the dry ingredients and wet ingredients are combined.
- Tent the loaf loosely with foil if the top begins to get dark.
- Don’t cut into the bread until it has cooled completely. It will be tempting, but you really should hold off until it is cool.
Serving and storage
Serving: Serve slightly warm, lightly toasted, or at room temperature. Top with salted butter, honey butter, or maple butter for an extra treat.
Storage: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
SUBSCRIBE to our free NEWSLETTER – LIKE us on FACEBOOK – Follow on INSTAGRAM
Pumpkin Banana Bread
- ½ cup oil, vegetable, canola, or mild olive oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup mashed overripe bananas, about 2 medium bananas
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups all purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F with a rack in the center of the oven.
- In a large bowl, whisk oil, sugar, eggs, mashed banana, pumpkin, and vanilla until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, spices, and salt. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Using a rubber spatula, lightly stir the batter until no streaks of flour remain. Be careful not to over mix.
- Grease a 9×5 loaf pan and pour the batter into the pan. Smooth into an even layer. Bake for 45-55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (moist crumbs are OK, just no raw batter). If the top is getting dark you can loosely tent it with foil during the last 5-10 minutes of bake time. Place on a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes, then carefully remove from the pan and place on a wire rack to cool completely. If desired, you can sprinkle the top with some cinnamon sugar while it is still warm (1 teaspoon granulated sugar combined with a couple dashes of cinnamon).
Nutritional Information is an estimate based on third-party calculations and may vary based on products used and serving sizes.
Leave a Reply