Sweet, soft, and fluffy homemade Pumpkin Cornbread. This delicious seasonal twist on cornbread is delicious served alongside soup, chili and stew or added to your holiday meal.
I love a twist on a classic and this Pumpkin Cornbread is exactly that. It’s like a mashup between pumpkin bread and traditional cornbread. You’ll come back to this recipe again and again.
This cornbread is
Easy: This recipe is super easy. No fancy equipment or techniques.
Soft and fluffy: Milk, pumpkin puree, and a bit of oil ensure that this cornbread has the perfect texture.
Sweet: If you’re a fan of sweet cornbread you will love this recipe! A combination of sugar and honey add just the right amount of sweetness.
Spiced: Cinnamon and pumpkin spice paired with pumpkin give this cornbread a unique flavor.
*Full recipe below in recipe card*
Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
Whisk pumpkin puree, milk, sugar, eggs, honey, and oil.
Combine the wet and dry ingredients.
Pour the batter into a 9-inch square pan and bake.
What type of pumpkin to use
This recipe calls for canned pumpkin puree. I find Libby’s brand to be the most consistent so I typically recommend that. Be sure to buy pumpkin puree NOT pumpkin pie filling. Pumpkin pie filling is already sweetened and spiced (for making a pie) and pumpkin puree is just cooked pureed pumpkin.
If you’re using homemade pumpkin puree make sure it is not too watery. It should be similar consistency to the canned variety.
Toppings for pumpkin cornbread
- Salted butter (I LOVE Kerrygold)
- Honey butter
- Maple butter
- A drizzle of honey
- A sprinkle of flaky sea salt (I use Maldon)
SUBSCRIBE to our free NEWSLETTER – LIKE us on FACEBOOK – Follow on INSTAGRAM
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal, not coarse ground
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup vegetable oil, mild olive oil, or melted refined coconut oil
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×9 square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- In a separate bowl whisk oil, pumpkin, milk, sugar, honey, and eggs. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for approximately 23-27 minutes A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean (no raw batter). Cool slightly, serve warm with salted butter and honey.
Nutritional Information is an estimate based on third-party calculations and may vary based on products used and serving sizes.
Leave a Reply