Moist and tender homemade Pumpkin Cornbread. A delicious seasonal twist on cornbread that’s perfect alongside autumn soups and stews. Can be made gluten-free, if necessary.This Pumpkin Cornbread is a fun and tasty twist on a traditional cornbread. The addition of pumpkin adds a delicious hint of fall-flavor. This cornbread is the ideal accompaniment to the comfort foods we are drawn to as the weather cools. Serve it alongside soup, chili and stew, or enjoy it slathered in our favorite honey butter.
How To Make Pumpkin Cornbread:
- Combine dry ingredients: flour, cornmeal, leavening, salt and spices.
- Combine wet ingredients: eggs, pumpkin, honey, oil, milk.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter into a 9-inch square pan and bake (see note below for making muffins).
This cornbread bakes up moist, tender. It’s slightly sweet with a faint pumpkin flavor that adds to the cornbread without overpowering it. It can served plain or with salted butter and honey.
How to Make Pumpkin Cornbread Gluten Free:
This recipe can easily be made gluten free. Swap the regular all purpose flour for a gluten-free baking blend (no other changes need to be made). Make sure you swap for a 1:1 gluten free baking blend, not just almond flour or coconut flour.
Pumpkin Cornbread Muffins
Instead of baking this cornbread in a 9-inch baking pan you can divide the batter between 10-12 muffin cups. Bake muffins for about 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Pumpkin Cornbread (Gluten-free option)
- 1 cup all purpose flour OR gluten-free flour blend, see note
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal, not coarse ground
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling
- ½ cup honey or pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup canola oil, vegetable oil or melted coconut oil (refined)
- ¼ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x9 square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pie spice.
- In a separate bowl whisk eggs, pumpkin puree, honey or syrup, oil, and milk until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for approximately 30 minutes (begin checking it at 25 minutes). A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean. Serve warm with butter and honey.