I love a twist on a classic and this Pumpkin Cornbread is exactly that. It’s like a mashup between pumpkin bread and traditional cornbread. You’ll come back to this recipe again and again.
This cornbread is
Easy: This recipe is super easy. No fancy equipment or techniques.
Soft and fluffy: Milk, pumpkin puree, and a bit of oil ensure that this cornbread has the perfect texture.
Sweet: If you’re a fan of sweet cornbread you will love this recipe! A combination of sugar and honey add just the right amount of sweetness.
Spiced: Cinnamon and pumpkin spice paired with pumpkin give this cornbread a unique flavor.
*Full recipe below in recipe card*
Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
Whisk pumpkin puree, milk, sugar, eggs, honey, and oil.
Combine the wet and dry ingredients.
Pour the batter into a 9-inch square pan and bake.
What type of pumpkin to use
This recipe calls for canned pumpkin puree. I find Libby’s brand to be the most consistent so I typically recommend that. Be sure to buy pumpkin puree NOT pumpkin pie filling. Pumpkin pie filling is already sweetened and spiced (for making a pie) and pumpkin puree is just cooked pureed pumpkin.
If you’re using homemade pumpkin puree make sure it is not too watery. It should be similar consistency to the canned variety.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal, not coarse ground
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup vegetable oil, mild olive oil, or melted refined coconut oil
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×9 square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- In a separate bowl whisk oil, pumpkin, milk, sugar, honey, and eggs. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for approximately 23-27 minutes A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean (no raw batter). Cool slightly, serve warm with salted butter and honey.
Nutritional Information is an estimate based on third-party calculations and may vary based on products used and serving sizes.