Now that the Super Bowl is over, we can shift our sights to the next food holiday – Valentine’s Day! As a sweet fanatic, I am a huge fan of any holiday that revolves around sugar and chocolate. I can forgo the red roses and romantic greeting cards. For me, it’s all about the food.
I took the Valentine’s Day treat of Chocolate Covered Strawberries and turned them into cupcakes.
Rich chocolate cupcakes get topped with strawberry buttercream frosting, and then finished with a chocolate covered strawberry. These cupcakes are delicious and pretty – perfect for sharing with the ones you love.
This recipe requires several steps – dipping the strawberries, baking the cupcakes, making the frosting, and then assembling. None of these steps are difficult. Just make sure you plan ahead and start with the chocolate dipped strawberries, as they require a couple hours to firm up in the fridge. If you’d like to take a shortcut, you could easily use a boxed chocolate cake mix for the cupcakes, then prepare the strawberry frosting and chocolate dipped strawberry portions of the recipe.
Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Cupcakes
Chocolate covered strawberries:
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 12 strawberries washed and dried (use smaller strawberries, so they fit on top of the cupcakes)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons fresh strawberry puree see note
Chocolate covered strawberries:
- Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper, set aside.
- Place the chocolate chips in a medium-sized bowl and microwave in 20-30 seconds increments, until smooth and creamy. Stir the mixture well throughout the melting process. Once completely melted, dip strawberries into the melted chocolate, dipping about halfway up the strawberry. Immediately place on the prepared baking sheet. Once all strawberries have been dipped, place the baking sheet in the refrigerator until the chocolate hardens.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 12-count muffin tin, or line with paper liners, set aside.
- Place the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Add the butter and mix on low speed until the mixture resembles moist crumbs/wet sand (about 1-2 minutes). Add eggs, sour cream/yogurt, and vanilla extract, and beat until just combined (batter will be fairly thick).
- Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups, filling each a little over halfway. Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Place pan on a wire rack to cool completely.
- With a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat the butter on medium-high speed for several minutes, until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add in the powdered sugar. Add the vanilla extract and strawberry puree, beat until combined. Add more strawberry puree if the frosting seems too thick, or more powdered sugar if it seems too thin.
- Frost the cupcakes and garnish with chocolate covered strawberries.