Lemon Blueberry Cake – A moist and tender lemon buttermilk bundt cake filled with fresh blueberries and topped with cream cheese frosting. VIDEO below!
Can we talk about how much I love spring baking? Although most people think holiday baking is the best, I actually prefer this time of year. You know why? BERRIES!
Warning: Prepare to be bombarded by berry recipes over the next several months. I mean, look at this cake – can you blame me? Give me all the berries.
This recipe is one that I adapted from Smitten Kitchen. Are you familiar with Deb at Smitten Kitchen? Her recipes are the best of the best. Browsing her site gives me warm fuzzies because she is the first food blog I ever read. I spent hours upon hours drooling over her photos and teaching myself how to cook with some of her recipes. That was many (pre-child) years ago when I had all the time in the world (sigh).
I have made this cake several times over the last few years. I have made it with a mixture of berries, but I have found that the lemon flavor pairs best with just blueberries. The cake is moist and tender with an underlying lemon flavor that is noticeable but not overpowering. The blueberries add the perfect touch of sweetness and pop of color.
And what did I smear on top of this beautiful bundt? Wait for it… CREAM CHEESE FROSTING! Yes, my friends, a luscious lemon cream cheese frosting gets spread all over the top of this cake. It’s the perfect finishing touch! A few extra blueberries and lemon slices decorate the top and we have a gorgeous and delicious Lemon Blueberry Bundt Cake!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Lemon Blueberry Bundt Cake
- 2 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- Finely grated zest of 2 large lemons
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 heaping cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice plus more, if needed
- Blueberries, lemon zest and lemon slices
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, whisk 2 1/2 cups flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, cream the butter, sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes. With the mixer on a low speed, add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl between each addition. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to batter, beating until just combined. Add half of the buttermilk, another 1/3 of the flour mixture, the remaining buttermilk and remaining flour mixture, mixing between each addition and scraping the bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, toss the blueberries with the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour. Gently fold the berries into the cake batter; the batter will be thick.
- Thoroughly and generously grease a 10 cup bundt pan - do not skimp on this. Scoop the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, rotating the cake halfway through the bake time. Begin checking it at 50 minutes, and bake until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Set cake pan on a wire rack to cool for 30-40 minutes, until cool enough to handle. Carefully invert the cake onto a serving platter to continue cooling.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy. Add powdered sugar and lemon juice and beat until well combined. Add more powdered sugar or lemon juice if you need the frosting thicker or thinner.
- Spread the frosting on top of the cooled cake and top with garnishes. I store this cake in the fridge and bring it to room temp before serving.
Try these LEMON RECIPES from my friends!
Lemon Ricotta Fritters from Bread Booze Bacon
Raspberry Lemon Layer Cake from White Lights on Wednesday
Lemon Sour Cream Sugar Cookies from I Heart Eating
Paleo Lemon Cheesecake from Cooking with Curls
Lemon Berry Napoleons from Home.Made.Interest.
Lemon Butter Cake from Sugar & Soul
Candied Lemon Peel from The Two Bite Club
Lemon Poke Cake from Liz on Call
Lemon Chewies from It Bakes Me Happy