All the flavors of a classic margarita with a little heat! This Spicy Jalapeno Margarita recipe is the perfect balance of sweet, spicy, tart, and refreshing. Only a handful of ingredients and a few simple steps.
This is my sixth margarita recipe and easily my favorite. I absolutely love the balance of heat and sweet in this refreshing cocktail. If you’re fan of jalapenos, this margarita is for you! Rather skip the heat? Try my Frozen Margarita, Strawberry Margarita, Blackberry Margarita, or Coconut Margarita.
Jalapeno margarita recipe overview
- Jalapeno simple syrup
- Lime juice
- Cointreau or triple sec
Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker then pour into an ice filled glass.
Jalapeno simple syrup
This is where the heat comes in. The flavor of fresh jalapeno is infused into simple syrup.
Combine equal parts water and sugar in a saucepan along with one sliced jalapeno. Simmer until the sugar is dissolved.
Use the sweet and spicy syrup in the margarita and use the “candied” jalapenos as a garnish in your drink.
- Use cold ingredients so that when you pour your cocktail over ice the ice won’t melt as quickly.
- Adjust the serving size as needed. This recipe is written to make 1 cocktail, but you can easily scale it up to make more.
- Taste and adjust ingredients as necessary. This is the beauty of making your own cocktails – you can get it just how you like it.
- Garnish your margaritas with sliced jalapenos and lime.
Spicy Margarita Recipe
Jalapeno simple syrup:
- 1 fresh jalapeno*, sliced
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ oz blanco/silver tequila
- ½ oz freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 oz triple sec or Cointreau
- 1 oz jalapeno simple syrup
- coarse salt, if desired, for the rim of your glass
Jalapeno simple syrup:
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside to cool to room temperature then transfer to the refrigerator. This syrup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Coat the rim of your glass in jalapeno syrup (I lightly brush it on) then dip it into coarse salt. Fill the glass with ice. Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker, shake vigorously, then pour into the glass.
Nutritional Information is an estimate based on third-party calculations and may vary based on products used and serving sizes.