Easy Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce served over ice cream. These Sundaes are the perfect balance of sweet and tart.
I have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of rhubarb at my local grocery store. I asked about it a couple weeks ago, and the man in the produce section pointed me in the direction of a pitiful pile of rhubarb that looked like it had been sitting there since last spring. I was so disappointed. But, I am happy to report that as of last week, the rhubarb is now beautiful and plentiful. The first thing I made was this simple rhubarb sauce.
- Strawberry jam
This sauce is made up of only 4 ingredients, and those 4 ingredient work perfectly together to make this flavorful sauce.
The sweet and tart flavors of the rhubarb sauce pair nicely with vanilla ice cream, but you can use any flavor of ice cream or frozen yogurt that you’d like (strawberry or coconut would both be great). I love nuts with my ice cream, so I made candied almonds to sprinkle on the top of our sundaes. Feel free to skip the almonds if that’s not your thing. These sundaes are great either way and they’re the ideal light spring or summer dessert.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
- 1 pound fresh rhubarb cut into 1-inch pieces
- cup scant 1/3 granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jam or preserves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 quart ice cream or frozen yogurt I like vanilla, coconut or strawberry
For the rhubarb sauce:
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rhubarb and sugar. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Cook partially covered, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in strawberry jam and cinnamon. Allow to cool to room temperature and then serve or refrigerate.