This Easy Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup was created as part of a shop compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser, Mars, Incorporated. All opinions are my own. #BensBeginners #UncleBensPromo #CollectiveBias
The easiest homemade Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup! Filled with chicken, vegetables, rice, and a touch of cream, this flavorful soup is ready in 30 minutes.
Today we’re talking about something I am really passionate about – cooking with kids!
My kids (ages 5 and 2) spend a lot of time in the kitchen with me. I value the moments we spend creating meals, snacks and treats. I think it is imperative that kids learn how to cook and that they see the joy that is created in sharing food with others.
Getting kids involved in preparing meals helps create a sense of pride and ownership. Plus, my kids will ALWAYS eat a meal that they’ve helped prepare. Cooking together is fun and it’s a great learning opportunity for kids of all ages.
Today I’m sharing an easy recipe that is great for cooking with kids. This is a hearty and wholesome meal that the whole family can enjoy! This Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is filled with vegetables, chicken (I used store bought rotisserie chicken) and Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice. Using Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice adds great flavor and texture to the soup, and since the rice is already cooked it allows us to prepare this soup quickly and easily.
In the recipe itself I have given some different options for swapping around vegetables to accommodate your family’s tastes. There’s bound to be a version of this soup that your family will love!
I’m partnering with Uncle Ben’s not only to bring you this recipe but to also share the Ben’s Beginners program. Uncle Ben’s is encouraging you to get your kids into the kitchen and cook together.
Want to help your kids’ cafeteria? Check out the Ben’s Beginners program and contest, and you can enter for a chance to win! 5 families will win $15,000 for themselves + a $30,000 cafeteria makeover for their kid’s school. Incredible!
I hope you’re inspired to get into the kitchen with your kids to make lasting memories and create delicious food.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
- 3 tablespoons butter or extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 scant cup chopped celery (approx 2 stalks)
- 1½ cups chopped carrots (approx 2-3 carrots)
- 1 small leek, halved and thinly sliced (or ⅓ cup chopped yellow onion)
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- ⅔ cup frozen peas
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken)
- One 8.8oz package Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Ready Rice
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup heavy cream, or more if desired
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter or oil. Once melted, add celery, carrots, and leek/onion. Saute, stirring frequently, until the vegetables begin to soften, 5-7 minutes. Stir in another tablespoon of butter or olive oil then sprinkle in the flour and stir until well combined. Add the chicken broth, peas, chicken, and rice, stirring to combine. Raise the heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender. Stir in cream. Add water to thin out the soup to your desired consistency. My family prefers thick soup so I only added ½ cup water. Add salt and pepper if necessary.
I purchased Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice at Walmart. Here’s a coupon toward yours!