This Healthy Pumpkin Bread is flavored with pumpkin puree, warm spices, and maple syrup. Enjoy for breakfast or snack alongside a cup of coffee or tea.
They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right? Today I’m bringing you a copycat recipe – Starbucks Pumpkin Bread. BUT, I was able to make this version a bit healthier. Does this mean we get to eat two slices? 😉
This bread is extra delicious alongside a cup of coffee with pumpkin spice creamer. So good! If you’re looking for a slightly different twist on on pumpkin bread try our pumpkin cornbread.
What makes this pumpkin bread healthy?
This pumpkin bread is so good that I guarantee you won’t miss the extra fat and calories. Here’s what I did to make this pumpkin bread healthier:
- I reduced the sugar a bit (you won’t miss it, I promise!).
- I made some healthier ingredient swaps → olive oil, wheat flour, maple syrup, and egg whites.
Even with those changes and substitutions this loaf bakes up sweet, moist, and tender. The top is adorned with a sprinkling of pepitas, which add the perfect nutty crunch. No crumb topping, no icing – just a pure and simple loaf loaded with pumpkin and warm spices.
- Use canned pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling which is sweetened
- Using white whole wheat flour helps to keep the bread from being too dense. If you don’t have that whole wheat pastry flour can be used in its place.
- Swap the pepitas for any chopped nuts of your choice (walnuts or pecans would both be great).
- Serve with honey butter or maple butter for a special treat.
- Use the leftover egg yolks from this recipe to make vanilla pudding.
Store leftover pumpkin bread at room temperature for up to 2 days, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 2 months. Reheat individual servings as needed.
More pumpkin recipes
- Pumpkin Oatmeal
- Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Pumpkin Bars
- Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin Crumb Muffins
- Pumpkin Blondies
- Pumpkin Pudding Cake
SUBSCRIBE to our free NEWSLETTER – LIKE us on FACEBOOK – Follow on INSTAGRAM
Healthy Pumpkin Bread
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil or melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup roasted pepitas
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, salt, spices, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, whisk sugar, syrup, egg whites, pumpkin, oil, and water until well combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Be careful not to over mix. Pour the batter into prepared pan and sprinkle pepitas over the top. Bake for approximately 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Place pan on a wire rack to cool for about 15 minutes, then remove the bread from the pan and continue cooling directly on the rack.
Nutritional Information is an estimate based on third-party calculations and may vary based on products used and serving sizes.
Leave a Reply