Red Wine, cherry juice, fruit liqueur, and plenty of fruit make this is a beautiful, rich and flavorful sangria.
What does it mean if the first serving of fruit I’ve had in days is the boozy fruit from the bottom of the sangria pitcher? Ooof. These days between Christmas and New Year’s are a blur of leftover holiday treats, celebratory cocktails, and so much laziness. It’s the only time of year I really allow myself to unplug, relax and seriously indulge.
If you’re feeling inspired to throw together a festive New Year’s Eve cocktail, this Red Wine Cherry Sangria fits the bill perfectly. It’s easy, gorgeous and so darn delicious! Prefer a White Sangria, I’ve got ya covered!
Although New Year’s Eve typically calls for champagne, it’s also fun to switch things up! Along with your sparkling wine, serve this rich, fruity and aromatic Red Wine Sangria.
RED WINE SANGRIA
You only need a handful of ingredients for this sangria; here’s how to make it:
- Red Wine: Use your favorite variety. Pinot Noir is my favorite red, and Sterling Vineyards makes my absolute favorite Pinot Noir. Use whatever you like. No need to break the bank here. Since you’re adding juice, fruit and liqueur, there’s no need to pull out your most expensive bottle of red.
- Cherry Juice: Here’s where the cherry flavor comes from. I love the combination of sweet cherry juice with the red wine. It makes for such a smooth sangria! Make sure you get sweet cherry juice, not tart cherry juice. If you can’t find pure cherry juice, you can use a cherry juice blend.
- Fruit: My favorite fruit combo for this sangria is: cherries (I use frozen), honeycrisp apples, oranges, and raspberries. Use whatever fruit looks and sounds good to you, just don’t forget the cherries – it is cherry sangria! Since cherries aren’t in season this time of year, I use frozen cherries and they work perfectly (bonus: they keep the sangria extra cold).
- Liqueur: Orange or raspberry liqueur are my favorite choices for this sangria.
Before I sign off until 2019, I want to send a huge THANK YOU to each of you! 2018 has been a big year for Celebrating Sweets, and it’s thanks to YOU! Thank you for reading, following along, and most importantly, thank you for making my recipes.
It makes me so happy to know that you are in your kitchen making delicious food for the people you love. Whether it’s French Toast for a family breakfast, Sweet Potato Casserole for Thanksgiving, M&M Cookies for the holidays, Beef Stew for a cozy night in, or a small batch of Cupcakes “just because.” The year offers many opportunities to cook, bake, and celebrate with the people you love, and I am incredibly grateful that my recipes may have played a small part in your celebrations. Cheers to a deliciously sweet 2019! See ya back here soon. xo
Red Wine Cherry Sangria
- 1 bottle red wine, I like Pinot Noir
- 1 cup sweet cherry juice, or cherry juice blend
- ½ cup raspberry or orange liqueur, adjust to suit your taste
- cherries (fresh or frozen), orange slices, apple slices and/or rasperries
- Combine all ingredients in a pitcher. Serve over ice (if desired) with extra fruit.