An easy recipe for warm and cheesy Pizza Dip. Use your favorite toppings and serve with garlic bread for dipping.
Are you ready to make lots of friends? I have a recipe that will make you the star of the Super Bowl party! Once your family and friends try this Pizza Dip, they will beg you to make it again and again. Bubbly, cheesy, pizza-flavored deliciousness heading your way!
We have less than a week until the Super Bowl. Do I care about football? Nope. Do I care about football FOOD? Heck yes. No game day is complete without tasty food. This recipe combines two game day favorites, dip and pizza – into one delicious dish! I might like this dip even better than pizza. Seriously, it is outrageously good. We have multiple layers of cheese, a touch of sauce, and all your favorite pizza toppings. Let’s do this!
How to Make Pizza Dip:
- Bottom layer: Cream cheese, herbs, fresh garlic and mozzarella cheese. This creamy and flavorful base is what makes this dip super tasty.
- Pizza sauce: Add your favorite pizza sauce, marinara sauce or tomato sauce on top of the cream cheese layer. I use 3/4 cup sauce, but feel free to add more if you want it really saucy.
- Toppings: Shredded mozzarella cheese gets layered with your favorite pizza toppings. For this version I used mushroom, pepperoni, and bell pepper.
Tip: This recipe can be adapted to whatever your favorite pizza flavor is! If you’re serving vegetarians you can double the veggies and skip the meat. If you’re serving kids you can make just cheese and pepperoni. If you’re feeding a group of meat-lovers, skip the veggies and add sausage, pepperoni and ham.
Pizza Dip Dippers:
Toasted Garlic Bread: My all-time favorite dipper for this pizza dip is crunchy slices of garlic bread. Simply slice a baguette, brush it with garlic and olive oil and bake it in the oven for several minutes. Those slices of garlic bread are absolutely perfect for plunging into the warm cheesy dip.
Gluten Free Option: Use gluten free bread to make the garlic bread, or swap the garlic bread for tortilla chips, gluten free crackers, or raw veggies.
Low Carb Option: Instead of serving with bread, serve this dip with thick cut raw veggies. Halved baby bell peppers work great, as well as carrots, celery, endive and broccoli florets.
Make-Ahead Pizza Dip:
Bonus!!! This dip can be assembled several hours in advance. Follow all of the steps prior to baking it, then tightly cover and refrigerate for several hours. Before serving, pop it into a hot oven, and within 25 minutes it is ready to be devoured!
You will love serving this dip on game day, or any day! Not only is it a fun appetizer, but it is totally meal worthy too; add a salad alongside and you have a fun any-night-of-week meal. What are your favorite game day eats?
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley or basil
- 1 small clove garlic finely grated (I used a microplane grater)
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella divided
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce or plain tomato sauce with 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
Toppings (use your favorites):
- 1/3 cup chopped bell pepper
- 4 sliced mushrooms
- 8 slices pepperoni halved or quartered
Garlic Bread Dippers:
- 1 fairly soft baguette sliced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic finely grated (I used a microplane grater)
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 9 1/2-inch deep dish pie plate (or similar size casserole dish) and set aside.
- Using a hand mixer, stand mixer with paddle attachment, or by hand with a rubber spatula: beat cream cheese, parsley/basil, garlic clove and 1 cup shredded mozzarella until combined. Spread into the bottom of the prepared pie dish.
- Pour the pizza sauce over the cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle half the remaining shredded cheese over the sauce, then top with half the toppings. Add the remaining shredded cheese, then add the remaining toppings. You can either bake it now (then serve immediately), or you can cover it and refrigerate it for up to 4 hours.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, until bubbly and warm throughout. While it's cooking, prepare garlic bread.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil and finely grated garlic clove. Place the baguette slices in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Brush the top side with the garlic olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake at 400° for 6-8 minutes, until toasted and golden brown. Do not flip them otherwise the garlic could burn. Serve the dip fresh from the oven with warm garlic bread.