A simple and delicious recipe for 5 vanilla cupcakes topped with vanilla buttercream frosting.
I have my son to thank for these cupcakes. Last week, he asked for a cupcake day after day, until I finally gave in. I didn’t need to make (or eat!) an entire batch of cupcakes, so I decided to try a recipe for a small batch of only 5 cupcakes. I have to tell you that these are some of the best (and easiest!) vanilla cupcakes I have ever made. I assumed that because this was a scaled down recipe that they would be good, but I never expected them to be great.
I was pleasantly surprised by how soft, moist, and flavorful these cupcakes are. There was even an extra cupcake that didn’t get eaten immediately and it was still good several days later (score!). It doesn’t get much better than a recipe that is simple, creates few dishes, and tastes amazing! So, for those times when you need a little sweet pick me up, look no further. This recipe will have you diving in to a perfect vanilla cupcake in no time.
Prefer a small batch of chocolate cupcakes? See here!
*Recipe updated April 2015. After a couple of comments regarding the texture of these cupcakes, I changed the method for mixing the batter, and increased the baking time slightly.
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup milk (preferably whole milk)
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoons milk (I used whole milk)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 5 muffin cups or place 5 liners in a muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg and sugar for about 1 minute. Add the vanilla extract and melted butter and whisk for about 30 seconds more.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add half the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until just combined. Add the milk, and whisk until just combined. Add the remaining dry ingredients and whisk until combined (being careful not to overmix).
- Divide the batter evenly between 5 muffin cups. Bake for 13-16 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- Beat powdered sugar and butter until smooth. Add vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon of milk. Beat on medium speed for several minutes, until light and fluffy. If the frosting appears too thick, add an additional teaspoon of milk.
- Frost the cupcakes using a butter knife. Top with sprinkles, if desired.
OTHER SMALL BATCH RECIPES: