Peach Cake – A tender vanilla cake filled with fresh peaches and topped with a buttery crumb topping. A comforting treat for breakfast or dessert. VIDEO BELOW.
Are you thinking what I’m thinking? If there is fruit in a cake, we can technically eat it for breakfast, right? Let’s start our day with a thick slice of peach crumb cake alongside our coffee or tea! Who’s joining me? You know you want to.
What we have here is a beautiful, buttery, bursting-with-fresh-peaches crumb cake that makes me squeal with excitement. I mean, how gorgeous are peaches right now? I have been eating at least one a day (in non-cake form), and I swear, every bite is sweeter and juicier than the last. I couldn’t wait to whip up this Peach Cake as soon as I had my hands on ripe peaches.
How to make Peach Cake:
- We start with our cake batter. Tender and buttery, with a touch of vanilla and almond extracts (the perfect partners for peaches).
- Peaches! We fold 2 cups of chopped fresh peaches into the batter before adding it to our cake pan.
- A quick cinnamon spiced brown sugar crumble tops our peach studded batter.
- The cake is baked until golden brown, just under an hour or so.
- Toppings: Top the cake with a drizzle of icing, powdered sugar, whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
If you’re a fan of crumb cake, you will go crazy for this fruity version. I love the contrast of soft cake, tender peaches, and crumbly topping.
I’ve made this cake exactly as written several times now. I really love it as is, but, I think I might play around with some variations next time. Maybe swapping some blueberries in for some peaches? Or swirling a little peach jam into the cake batter right before adding the crumb topping. I also think this base recipe would make a fantastic cinnamon crumb cake if you omit the peaches and add plenty of cinnamon.
Whether you choose to make this for breakfast or dessert, fancy dinner party or casual summer BBQ, I hope you love every bite. Grab some peaches! The season will be over before we know it!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Peach Crumb Cake
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract optional
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 scant cups peeled diced peaches about 2-3 peaches (see note)
For the crumb topping:
- Combine sugars, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in melted butter. Add flour and stir until just combined. Set aside.
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan and set aside.
- In a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium speed for 3-4 minutes, until light and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating to combine. Add vanilla extract, almond extract and sour cream.
- In a separate bowl, combine 1 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add flour mixture to wet ingredients. Beat until just combined. Do not over mix.
- In a separate bowl, toss diced peaches with the remaining 1/4 cup flour. Using a rubber spatula, carefully fold the peaches into the cake batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Crumble the topping evenly over the batter. Bake for approximately 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Run a thin knife around the outside of the cake to help remove it from the pan.
- Garnish: You can drizzle the cake with icing, dust it with powdered sugar, or serve it with ice cream or whipped cream. To make icing: whisk 1/4 cup powdered sugar with a tiny splash of milk until combined.