A simple and refreshing recipe for homemade Blueberry Lemonade. Sweetened with honey or sugar, and filled with tart lemon juice and fresh blueberries. You’ll never want store bought lemonade again.
The prettiest purple lemonade is coming to brighten your week. Maybe you’re here in the southwest where it already feels like summer (a balmy 95° today). Or maybe you’re in the rest of the country where unusually chilly temps have you craving spring. Either way, this Blueberry Lemonade is here to help you make it through. Don’t have blueberries? Try my Pink Lemonade instead.
- Lemon juice
- Honey or sugar
That’s it! 4 simple ingredients. A blender does most of the work – the blueberries get liquified, then sweetener, lemon juice, and water round everything out.
The beauty of this recipe is that you can make it exactly the way you want it. I prefer a lemonade that’s more tart than sweet. Want it sweeter? Bump up the sugar or honey. Want it more tart? Add a little more lemon juice. You could even swap out the blueberries for another berry.
Store bought lemonade is often loaded with as much sugar as soda (crazy, right?!). Sugary drinks are heavily limited around these parts (we save our sugar intake for cookies, pie and cake), BUT, since I’m controlling the amount sugar in this Blueberry Lemonade, I am happy to serve it to my family. I would even say this lemonade is actually kinda sorta good for us.
For the batch of lemonade you see pictured I strained the blueberry puree to remove any solids. This results in a prettier, less cloudy final product. When serving this lemonade to guests I typically strain it, but when I’m making it for my family I often skip the straining step and leave those little tiny bits of blueberry skin (hello, nutrients and antioxidants!). It’s great either way!
Don’t forget to save a few extra blueberries and lemon slices for garnish. You’ll love sipping on this sweet and refreshing Blueberry Lemonade.
Love lemon and blueberry together? Try our Lemon Blueberry Bars.
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- ⅓ cup mild honey (or sub ½ cup+ granulated sugar), see note
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 5-6 cups water , divided
- additional blueberries and lemon slices, for garnish
- Bring one cup of water to a boil. Whisk in honey until dissolved. Set aside to cool slightly. If using sugar instead of honey, skip this step.
- Add blueberries, lemon juice, sugar (if using) and 1 cup water to a blender and blend until pureed. Strain through a fine mesh sieve and discard any solids.
- Stir together the blueberry puree, honey mixture (if using) and remaining 3-4 cups water. Chill and serve over ice.
Nutritional Information is an estimate based on third-party calculations and may vary based on products used and serving sizes.