Homemade Whipped Cream is one of the easiest and most delicious things you’ll ever make! Three ingredients and 5 minutes time to fluffy, beautiful whipped cream. Check out all the flavor options! VIDEO below.
Anyone else want to swan dive into a bowl of fluffy freshly-whipped cream? Good. I’m glad I’m not alone.
It’s time to step up your whipped cream game and I’m here to help you. Homemade whipped cream is the easiest way to elevate any dessert. And the good news is that it’s super simple. Three ingredients, one step, less than 5 minutes.
Homemade Whipped Cream
- Heavy Whipping Cream – Make sure it is very cold before you whip it.
- Powdered Sugar – Heavy cream is not sweetened, which means we need to sweeten our whipped cream. Powdered sugar is the perfect choice because it dissolves right into the cream – no grainy sugar crystals.
- Vanilla Extract – A touch of vanilla is essential for that classic whipped cream flavor. See my other flavor variations below!
- Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, or stand mixer, beat on medium-high speed until the cream is thickened and fluffy. You can beat it until it holds soft or stiff peaks, your choice.
This whipped cream is the perfect topping to cakes or pies. You can swirl it onto an ice cream sundae or dollop into your coffee or hot chocolate. Build a beautiful trifle or use it as the finishing touch to a fruit crisp. The uses are endless!
Tips for Making Homemade Whipped Cream
- Keep your ingredients COLD! The cream should not get warm at any point during this process. Make sure you are starting with heavy cream that is coming straight from your fridge.
- Use a metal mixing bowl (if you can). Place the mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer for a few minutes right before you begin.
- Scrape the bowl periodically. Although you might me tempted to turn your mixer on high and walk away – keep an eye on it. Scrape the sides of the bowl periodically so that all the cream gets whipped evenly.
- Keep an eye on it. Once the cream has thickened watch it closely. It will go from soft gentle peaks to grainy in no time. It’s better to under-mix than over-mix. Accidentally overmix it? See my my tip below for how to fix it.
Can Homemade Whipped Cream be Made Ahead of Time?
Yes! Homemade Whipped Cream will last in the fridge for several days. That being said, I highly recommend making it 24 hours or less from when you need it. Keep it tightly covered in the refrigerator.
Note: The longer it sits in the fridge the more it will “deflate”. If the whipped cream loses some volume, and appears thinner than you would like it to be, simply whisk it (by hand or with a mixer) to thicken it up again.
How to Fix Overbeat Whipped Cream
Accidentally beat the whipped cream too much? I’ve been there! Add a couple tablespoons of cream and whisk it in by hand. This should thin it out and bring it back to soft peak consistency. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve used this trick!
If you’ve really overbeat it and it’s starting to curdle, it’s likely that you’ll have to start over again.
Flavored Whipped Cream
Another reason you’ll love making whipped cream is that you can flavor it any way you want.
I most often use traditional vanilla whipped cream, but there are times that flavored whipped cream can really take things over the top. Here are some of my favorite flavored whipped creams and ways to serve them. See the recipe below for how to flavor the whipped cream.
- Coffee/Espresso Whipped Cream: Serve with brownies, chocolate cake, mocha poke cake, or white hot chocolate.
- Cinnamon Whipped Cream: Serve with pumpkin pie, apple pie, spice cake, apple crisps, stuffed apples, or cider floats.
- Salted Caramel Whipped Cream: Serve with brownie trifles, vanilla ice cream, apple pie, or iced or hot coffee.
- Peppermint Whipped Cream: Serve with chocolate cake, brownies, hot chocolate.
- Lemon Whipped Cream: Serve with fresh berries, pound cake, angel food cake.
- Peanut Butter Whipped Cream: Serve with brownie trifles, ice cream pie, brownies, icebox cake.
- Berry Whipped Cream: Serve with pound cake, berry pie, berry crumble bars, vanilla ice cream.
- Maple Whipped Cream: Serve with pecan pie, gingerbread, pancakes/waffles/french toast.
- Chocolate Whipped Cream: Serve with strawberries, raspberries, pound cake, coffee, hot chocolate, cheesecake.
Easy Homemade Whipped Cream (10 flavors)
Homemade Whipped Cream is one of the easiest and most delicious things you'll ever make! Three ingredients and 5 minutes time to fluffy, beautiful whipped cream. Check out all the flavor options!
- 1 cup chilled heavy whipping cream
- 3-4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Chill your mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer for 10 minutes.
Place the cream, powdered sugar and vanilla in a mixer bowl. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat on medium-high speed until it is has thickened and soft peaks form (about 3-5 minutes). Periodically scrape down the sides of the bowl. Refrigerate or use immediately. If refrigerating, the whipped cream might deflate slightly over time. If necessary, beat it briefly right before serving.
Make the whipped cream as directed then stir in the following ingredients until combined.
Espresso/Coffee: 1 teaspoon espresso powder
Cinnamon: 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Salted Caramel: 2 tablespoons salted caramel sauce
Peppermint: 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract (or more to taste)
Lemon: 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
Peanut Butter: 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
Berry: 2 tablespoons berry jam
Maple: 1 tablespoon maple syrup plus 1/4 teaspoon maple extract
Chocolate: 2-3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (add this at the beginning, when you mix the cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract). Beat until soft peaks form.